Mar 2, 2012

Brunch


Brunch is what I consider a convenient and forgiving meal. It's the thing I most look forward to on a weekend if I've had the good fortune of a sleep in. Brunch is the meal that forgives the fact that you've missed breakfast and that it's too long to wait for lunch.


What I love about brunch is that the rules that might be associated with breakfast and lunch don't apply. If I feel like bacon and eggs but want to have a chocolate muffin as well, then that is just fine.

The other thing I like about it is that it's social meal that doesn't eat into the whole day. Breakfast always seems to early to invite friends around or to meet at a cafe. While a weekend lunch will take up most of the afternoon. But brunch comes at a more civilized hour allowing you to catch up with friends but then get on with the rest of your day.


I made roasted tomato, spinach and goat cheese on toasted sourdough for brunch recently. The tomatoes roast away in the oven and need no attention while you prepare coffee, juice or fruit or all of the above. The sharpness of the goat cheese is lovely with the sweet roasted tomatoes and the sourdough soaks up all the lovely roasted tomato juices. This is a really nice brunch alternative that's so tasty but easy to prepare.



Roast tomatoes, spinach and goat cheese on toasted sourdough

Makes 2

Ingredients:
4 roma tomatoes, sliced in half lenghtways
2 thick slices of sourdough bread
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
60g goats cheese
1 garlic clove, cut in half (optional)
Olive oil
S&P
1 tsp raw caster sugar

1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Place tomatoes on an oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil, sugar and S&P. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the tomatoes start to break down.
3. Toast the sourdough and rub garlic if using across the toasted bread.
4. Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a non stick pan and saute the baby spinach for a couple of minutes.
5. To assemble, spread half the goats cheese on each slice of sourdough, top with the baby spinach and tomato.

13 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Love the look of those thick-sliced Roma tomatoes!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, Anna! I'm glad you enjoyed my post.

Your brunch recipe looks fabulous. I think roasting tomatoes brings out all their wonderful sugars, and I love the chewiness of sourdough bread.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

You're quite right about brunch being a good meal for the time poor. By the time you've finished you've still got so much of the day left! :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love brunches. This bruschetta looks amazing.

Cheers,

Rosa

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

it is so true, brunch is a forgiving meal and what I like most about it is that you can indulge for hours! Lovely recipe :)

Hotly Spiced said...

What a beautiful looking brunch. I just love roasted roma tomatoes and I think they would go so well with goat's cheese. Of course this looks so good I could also enjoy it for lunch or dinner!

Christie @ Fig and Cherry said...

Yum! This is beautiful, tomatoes and bread are a great combo.

Geni said...

Ooooh, those roasted tomatoes are pure perfection and the with the goat cheese and crunchy sourdough...I would be in heaven. I totally agree on the brunch assessment. It is the perfect meal to serve or join friends. Short, sweet and to the point.

Eileen said...

Those tomatoes look beautiful! Can't wait until decent ones show up at the market again. :)

Asmita said...

Simple, colorful and a satisfying meal. Lovely , will make it soon.

Miss Kimbers said...

Mmmm the tomaoes look so tasty! I am addicted to them at the moment have have fried tomatoes each day for breakfast. Fills you up for so long!

Simply Life said...

brunch is my favorite meal and this looks perfect!

Stephanie said...

I love a simple sandwich idea like this. Looks beautiful.