Amongst the recent summer heat, last week we were surprised with a bit of a cool snap for a couple of days. It was actually a welcome relief from some of the heat and nice to get into the kitchen to cook something warming and take a break from all the summer salads of late.
I had some chicken breast and puff pastry in the freezer and together with a few vegies emerged this pot pie. I've got to say that it looked impressive coming out of the oven all puffed up and perfectly golden. The pastry was cooked to a perfect crispiness and the sauce inside was oozy and creamy,; neither too runny or too thick.
The only thing I would normally do differently is to use chicken thighs instead of breast but it's what I had on hand. I also change around the vegetables depending on what's in season or what is left lurking in the vegetable crisper by the end of the week.
Chicken & vegetable pot pieServes 4-6
2 Tbs olive oil
1 diced onion
2 tsp garlic, minced
500gm chicken, diced
1 large zucchini, diced
1 large carrot, diced
200gm green beans, sliced
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup light cream
1/4 cup plain flour
2 tsp mustard powder or Dijon mustard
2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 200C
2. In a hot pan add the oil. Add onion and sauté for a few minutes.
3. Add the chicken and fry for a couple of minutes until the chicken pieces are sealed.
4. Add the vegetables and fry for a few minutes.
5. Add the mustard powder and flour and fry for a few minutes to ensure the flour is fried off. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add the stock, water and cream. Stir to combine and allow to come to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened.
7. Pour the chicken mixture into a family sized casserole dish.
8. Lay the pastry over the top and tuck the edges along the inner side of the casserole dish. Make a slit in the centre with a knife to allow steam to escape.
9. Brush the pastry with egg.
10. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the pastry is perfectly golden.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.